June is known as Corn and Cucumber Month, National Smile Month, National Surf Music Month, and even Skyscraper Month. June 2012, however, has transcended the usual nomenclature here in California. It has become Stuff Your Face With Foie Gras Before It’s Banned Month. For those who aren’t aware, July 1st marks the first day where Foie Gras will officially be banned in California despite efforts from Chefs and Foie Gras lovers all over the country.
Foie Gras has been controversial for quite some time due to the process of gavage, one technique used to plump up the duck’s or goose’s liver. In response to the legislation banning Foie Gras in California, 100 culinary professionals and supporters came together to form the Coalition for Humane and Ethical Farming Standards. The Coalition proposed stricter standards for farming instead of banning the delicacy. In turn, the fight took a turn for the worst when Chairman of the CA Democratic Party, and author of the ban legislation, John Burton was quoted as saying ”I’d like to sit all 100 of [the Coalition] down and have duck and goose fat – better yet, dry oatmeal- shoved down their throats over and over and over again”. Not very nice Mr. Burton.
But you aren’t here to learn about the politics behind the ban (which you can read about here), you are here to learn about the best places to gobble up the last bits of California foie gras. So, without further ado, the Epicuring guide to saying au revoir to Foie Gras:
- Indulge in the be-all, end-all Farewell to Foie Gras dinner with the underground dinner group A Moose Bouche on June 28th (featuring Idle Cellars wines!)
- Go to a second underground dinner (because one underground foie dinner obviously isn’t enough to properly say goodbye) with Chester Watson and the Bon Vivants on June 30th
- Stop by the new Craftsman & Wolves for their foie gras, chocolate, toffee cake, aptly titled “the devil inside”
- Join Fifth Floor for Chef David Bazirgan’s foie tasting menu available throughout June
- Attend Gourmet & More’s We Love Foie Gras Party
- Savor a Japanese-style foie gras feast at Nombe on June 21st.
- Keep an eye on 4505 Meats, who might be adding another Foie Gras Class before the month is over!
Know of any other foie-inspired events? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter (@epicuring)!